Imagine you’re shipwrecked… cast away on some Robinson Crusoe type island or stuck in a remote location with limited supplies. What would be your top 10 healthy foods?
As I pondered this thought, I thought I’d compile a list of the top 10 foods I couldn’t live without (right now). I think this is what I would go for….
Fair to say this list would’ve been very different a year ago.
My top 10 healthy foods
- Eggs. Affordable, quick and versatile. Do I need to say more? So many reasons why you should stock up on eggs and I’ve even done a video blog on egg breakfast tips.
- Nuts. I possibly overdo these on occasion. No longer am I trusted with a free flowing, open bag of cashews or almonds.
- Avocado. I never really ate this before last year, firstly because I had ‘fat phobia’ and secondly, because I didn’t know what the hell do with it. Now I relish the creamy nourishing texture of this delightful (and very low fructose) fruit.
- Spinach. Wholly versatile and ridiculously tasty wilted in butter, with salmon. Forms the base of nearly all my salads and blends into a green smoothie like a dream. I can now even eat it straight out of the bag. Simply wonderful stuff.
- Tomatoes. Cherry, on the vine, or the ‘beef’ variety. Cherry tomatoes are amazingly sweet once your tastebuds regain their natural sugar sensitivity and I relished them when I was craving fruit on my sugar detox.
- Salmon. One of my all time favourite protein sources. Unique in flavour, luxurious and goes well with several others on this list; spinach, eggs, avocado.
- Tea. OK I’m cheating a little bit, because there are a few. Peppermint & nettle comes top of my list, then Earl Grey and then Roobios. Chai tea pulled me through the tough sugar detox and will always have a fond place in my heart.
- Full fat natural or Greek yoghurt. I missed out on this for 27 years of my life so I’m making up for lost time. When I feel the need for a ‘dessert’ this usually does the job. Check out my guide on the best low sugar yoghurts.
- Coconut ‘stuff’. Again, cheating because this includes coconut water, coconut oil, and coconut flakes. All three products that have entered my diet only in the last year, and are a much appreciated source of natural sweetness.
- Haloumi cheese… or goats cheese….or sweet potato. Ah! I can’t decide. So tough. I could change this list to 12, but that defeats the object of it. Let’s just say the importance of these three is diluted down by them sharing a place on the list.
So there you have it. My top 10 healthy foods. I’d love to hear some of yours? Even just a ‘Top 1’ or ‘Top 3’. Do leave a comment if something springs to mind.