It’s super important to keep your salads and main meals interesting and varied so you feel excited by food without too many sweet things around. This wild rice aubergine salad from contributors Sugarfree Siblings can do exactly that so why not give it a go.
Wild rice aubergine salad
Images & recipe by Sugarfree Siblings
- 200g wild red/black rice
- 1/2 small celeriac
- 10 baby aubergines (or 2 large)
- 2 red peppers
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp mustard (dijon or grainy)
- Pink Himalayan salt & pepper
- Put the oven on to 180C.
- Rinse the rice with cold water and put in a pan with double the amount of cold water, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 40-45 minutes – until al dente.
- Pop the whole aubergines & quartered and de-seeded peppers onto a roasting tray, drizzle with 2tbsp of the olive oil, a dash of salt & pepper and pop in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the celeriac skin and then grate (well worth the arm workout!).
- Combine the grated celeriac, roughly chopped parsley, remaining olive oil, tahini and mustard.
- Drain the rice, rinse in cold water (for a good few minutes) & add to the celeriac mixture.
- Remove the roasted veg from the oven and add to rest of the salad, stir through and serve immediately or later when fully cooled.
This goes super well with grilled salmon, roasted chicken thighs or a green salad.
The Sugarfree Siblings are two sisters from Scotland obsessed with cooking and nourishing sugar-free and low fructose. With a host of delicious healthy recipes on their website, you’ll find lots of lovely things to keep your taste buds savoury and less sweet. You can also follow them on Instagram and Twitter.